For many newly married couples, the next exciting thing after the wedding (or honeymoon) is decorating their first home. If this is you, you might feel like there’s a special sentimental importance attached to your task and be keen to get it just right.
There are a few tips that can give you a helping hand in perfecting the DIY project the two of you are about to embark on.
Always look for balance
Your home should be a relaxing place where you can get married life off to the right start. Unless you’re both enthusiastic maximalists, try to plan your colours and furnishings in a way that will strike a balance.
There’s an interior design principle of going for an 80/20 ratio in each room. This can be applied to different aspects of design, such as your colour scheme or the balance between different furniture styles.
With colours, you’d apply this by opting for a clean, neutral colour across 80% of the space and accent colours for the other 20%.
You can apply this concept to furniture. You might both agree that you’re happy for 80% of your furniture to be one co-ordinating colour and 20% of it to be in another. For example, you might opt for a wardrobe and dressing table that is white but opt for accessories in the room with an accent colour.
Can’t agree on colours? Go neutral
You may find yourselves in the predicament of having opposite design tastes. One of you might be dead set on having a green living room, while the other might favour bold coppers and browns, for example.
It could be one of your first tests in compromise as a married couple! If one wants a colour that the other vehemently opposes, perhaps it’s time to step back and discuss a neutral colour palette you can both agree on.
You can have more fun with a neutral colour scheme than you might think. You could blend warm beige tones with different shades of brown. Or you could combine hints of salmon with various greys. You might even both be able to appreciate the popular Scandi white and black minimalist look.
And hey, there’s nothing to stop you adding just a hint of colour in there somewhere if you can agree on it!
Add some plants
There are lots of reasons why houseplants in your home are a good idea (as long as you can keep them alive!).
Some studies have shown that they can improve mood, stress levels and even productivity (great for the WFH-ers!).
Some plants can also purify the air from compounds like carbon dioxide and dust-like particles, among other things. To enjoy these benefits, you might want to consider an Indian rubber tree, spider plant or a peace lily.
Besides all this, house plants can also lift the aesthetic of your room, making it a more pleasant environment for the two of you to relax in.
Decorating your home together should be fun. With some beautiful décor and relaxing features, it will be a house you can spend many happy years together in.